, on the Veronese shore of Lake Garda, has very old origins. The name Lazise comes from the Latin word “lacus” which means “village on the lake”. In fact, Lazise used to be both a place where there were lake-dwellings besides a Roman suburb, a market and a prestigious castle in the Middle Ages.
Lazise has many interesting churches, among these there is the Romanesque church of San Niccolo (XII century) near the port. The church of San Martino was rebuilt in neoclassical style between 1976 and 1840 in the place of the church of San Zeno dating back to the XIV century, without leaving any ruins.
The most evident building in Lazise, which was known as the Customs of Veneto, used to be an arsenal for ship maintenance. After the reconstruction during the last years, the building began to be used for holding congresses. Villa Pergolana, located at the end of the lakeside, towards Bardolino, was built in renaissance style in the XIV century.
After many years, Lazise as well the other towns on the lake, made lots of changes: from a small and poor town made up of fisherman and farmers to a very important tourist centre full of hotels, camping sites, restaurants, allowing it to become one of tourist’s favourite destinations for their holiday on Lake Garda.